Daniel T. Rondeau is a shareholder at Sage Forensic Accounting, a highly-specialized consulting firm that offers specialized services in the areas of forensic accounting, economic damage analysis, and business valuation. Mr.Rondeau has primarily been engaged by attorneys and law firms to assist them and their clients with financial and accounting-oriented issues, ranging from complex damage analyses to business valuation.
Mr. Rondeau has also been engaged to provide professional expertise to individuals, businesses, insurance companies, financial institutions, and not-for-profit organizations. As a shareholder, Mr. Rondeau oversees a majority of the administrative and operational aspects of Sage and was instrumental in the founding of the firm.
The following sections provides additional detail summarizing Mr. Rondeau’s experience in different professional areas:
I have extensive experience in performing appraisals in both cooperative and contentious appraisal environments. I have calculated the value of closely held companies in a wide variety of industries for many different purposes, including for buy-sell agreements, ESOP plans, divorce settlements, stockholder disputes, bankruptcy adversarial proceedings,governmental regulatory agencies, gift and estate tax plans, and other business planning and litigation situations. In the course of performing a valuation, I regularly draw on my forensic accounting, economic analysis, and other financial expertise. I regularly perform complex valuation assignments that involve issues such as distinguishing between enterprise and personal goodwill, allocation of goodwill value, and valuing horizontal and vertically integrated entities. The following is a brief summary of some of the varied assignments I have participated in:
- Valued an engineering service provider and equipment manufacturer, which specializes in carbon fiber composites, and composites design and manufacturing.
- Valued car dealerships, including both new and used car dealerships.
- Valued entities providing marketing services for car dealerships.
- Valued businesses engaged in providing buy-here pay-here financing and other non-traditional financing options for car dealerships.
- Valued a company that specializes in marketing a mortgage down payment assistance program.
- Valued a full service equipment sales and rental company which services the Intermountain region, primarily renting and selling heavy construction and mining equipment such as compactors, excavators, cranes,wheel loaders, and lighter construction equipment such as lasers, compaction wheels, trench boxes, and cables.
- Valued a company that supplies concession businesses including those found at movie theaters, parks and recreation facilities, arenas,entertainment venues, golf courses, schools, church, etc.
- Valued a commercial real estate brokerage firm serving the Intermountain and Pacific Northwest.
- Valued a healthcare staffing agency that specializes in nurse staffing, contract nurse, temporary nurse, and traveling nurse services.
- Valued a business that provides pet boarding,daycare, and bathing services.
- Valued business entities that own retail grocery stores.
- Valued a business, including subsidiary and affiliated entities that operate in the oil and gas industry primarily involved the acquisition, retrofitting,operation, and selling of oil and gas projects.
- Valued a business engaged in the brine shrimp fishing business, including an evaluation of the impact on value of requirements for Certificates of Registration from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources in order to conduct business.
- Valued a vertically integrated California conglomerate of family-owned businesses. The conglomerate’s operations consist of more than 50 entities,including ranches, hatcheries, and processing plants all involved in raising chicken and turkey.
- Valued a company that provides credit unions with computer systems, products, and services.
- Valued a company that provides secure financial transaction processing and billing services via the Internet, including credit card transactions, electronic checks, invoicing, monthly billing statements,recurring billing automation, private label credit cards, and micro payment transactions.
- Valued a vertically integrated grouping of three New York family-owned businesses that were involved in catching and brokering seafood, both domestically, in the United States, as well as internationally in countries such as the UK, Russia and China. Performed this valuation as a U.S. government subcontractor for the National Pollution Fund Center.
- Valued many different types of medical practices, including those of anesthesiologists, chiropractors, neurosurgeons,ophthalmologists, orthopaedic surgeons, plastic and reconstructive surgeons,transplant surgeons, veterinarians, and podiatrists.
- Valued many different holding entities,including real estate holding companies, business asset holding companies,family limited partnerships, investment holding companies, and so on.
- Valued many different businesses engaged in services related to the construction, including electrical contractors; engineering services businesses; a specialty transportation engineering and planning firm; telecom construction services; drywall and plaster services; landscaping; carpeting and flooring; and design services.
- Valued law practices and firms, ranging from sole practitioner, locally focused entities to multi-practitioner, national practice entities.
- Valued a debt collection agency.
- Valued a business that provides foreign exchange payment processing, hedging and exposure management.
- Valued an international insurance intermediary that offered in-house underwriting services, specializing in the movement of food in domestic and international commerce.
- Valued a marine claim settlement agent that offered services to marine underwriters, performing work as a claims adjuster sand claim investigation service.
- Valued a mortgage brokerage business.
- Valued a business that specialized in providing commercial and residential carpets and rugs,wood, tile, stone, vinyl, VCT, marmoleum, window coverings, counter-tops, sink vanities, sinks.
- Valued a business operating as a wholesale distributor, specializing in sales and service of industrial engines and generators.
- Valued a business operating a retail store that specialized in selling lacrosse equipment.
- Valued a business that operated as a coaching science firm providing performance enhancement training to some of the world’s premier executives and organizations.
- Valued a business that provides oilfield services to operators of gas and oil wells,primarily providing hot oil service.
- Valued a business that operated a boutique hotel operation in Costa Rica that specialized in hosting group family vacations, destination weddings, wellness retreats, executive forums, and family camps.
- Valued a business that manufactures and markets patient and physician seating,cabinetry, and related accessories for many healthcare professionals.
- Valued a dental benefits company specializing in Preferred-Provider-Organization (“PPO”)and traditional dental plans.
- Valued a business specializing in creating and distributing payment processing solutions to e-commerce and retail merchants.
- Valued a dealership of Motorola digital two-way radio solutions, specializing in applications in the mining industry and innovative third-party applications.
- Valued a commercial wholesale bakery that specializes in bagels, tortillas, and pita bread.
- Valued a network of occupational health services clinics that specialize in providing industrial injury care, drug testing, and physical exams, including exams for Department of Transportation requirements, Federal Aviation Administration requirements, fitness for duty, etc.
- Valued a business the operated as a distributor of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, and also provided sales, marketing,and delivery services to the retail trade.
- Valued a business that supplies diagnostic imaging equipment, including x-ray machines and equipment.
- Valued a carton manufacturing company which specializes in producing custom rigid boxes, litholam cartons, and regular cartons.
- Valued a group of facilities that run licensed treatment programs for adolescents with behavioral, emotional, and substance abuse issues through the use of wilderness settings as a clinically focused intervention to teach students accountability,communication skills and healthy emotional and behavioral habits.
- Provided valuation consulting advice and assisted counsel with due diligence involving an acquisition transaction related to a ski resort.
- Provided valuation consulting advice to the owner of a contract welding company that provides welding services throughout the United States, including water pipeline welding, steel tunnel linear installations and welding, and heavy construction welding.
- Provided valuation consulting advice to estate and tax planning counsel relating to an egg production business.
The large majority of my assignments involve applying forensic accounting expertise to various portions of the assignment. This can range from using forensic accounting techniques to analyze and understand the trends in the financial results of a business when performing valuation assignments as described above, to investigating fraud allegations. The following is a list of some of the non-valuation matters in which I used my forensic accounting expertise to provide assistance:
- Traced and evaluated separate property claims for a marriage extending from 1989 through 2011, identifying the assets brought into a marriage by each party, and then determining what transpired with each asset as well as what funds or other activities were used or required to support the asset.
- Reconstructed accounting records lost or destroyed as a result of theft, flood, fire, and other situations causing lost documents or data.
- Determined total remuneration for individuals that receive income and benefits from a variety of sources. These analyses are typically for marital dissolution matters and regularly involve sole proprietors, entrepreneurs,owners and executives of privately held enterprises, and beneficiaries oftrusts.
- Investigated and identified assets of estates and business for use in probate, marital dissolution, and corporate matters. I regularly conduct these analyses for purposes of preparing a schedule detailing a marital estate for use in determining an equitable division.
- Evaluated and analyzed insurance claim documents related to a loss claim involving an oil drilling rig.
- Supervised and performed investigative accounting work for criminal fraud trials and claims.
- Supervised and performed investigative accounting services on the assets of marital estates in divorce cases.
- Traced and identified amounts contributed to and for the benefit of businesses as well as the returns and amounts paid to or for the benefit of investors in a business for purposes of establishing the total contributions to a start-up business.
- Investigated alleged embezzlement of funds from a dental practice.
- Investigated alleged embezzlement of funds from a veterinary practice.
- Traced and analyzed over billing claims related to an agreement for design services for a residential property.
- Traced and determined the accuracy of all amounts allocated and paid to a member of a plastic surgery practice related to claims of underpayments made in post termination litigation.
- Investigated and traced the sources and uses of funds invested in and used in a start-up company that was developing opensource radio technology to market to the United States military and private companies.
- Investigated and determined total remuneration of a financial advisor employed at an investment bank.
- Performed investigation to determine assets and income of individual and business for purposes of judgment collection proceedings.
- Traced and detailed uses and separate character of premarital funds and assets, including tracing of incentive stock options through vesting, re-capitalization, public offering, and merger, for a marriage extending from 1995 through 2009.
- Traced and detailed total amounts management and incentive fees generated in a case involving various alleged violations of Section 17 of the Securities Act, Section 10 of the Exchange Act, and Section 206 of the Advisors Act, including allegations of a fraudulent scheme to artificially inflate the assets of a hedge fund, allegations of use of a manipulative trading practice called “marking the close”.
- Performed a forensic audit to verify the accuracy of the amounts charged to a club related to an agreement between the club and a professional sports franchise.
- Performed a royalty audit regarding a product license agreement allowing use of a name on products, specifically investigated the sales of an energy drink that used the licensed name.
- Performed rent audit to verify accuracy of rent amount based on percentage of revenues related to a ground lease agreement.
- Conducted forensic audit of sources and uses of funds by conservator in a conservatorship matter, including the accounting for all funds and the investigation of the transactions relationship to the conservatee.
- Performed a forensic audit of the sources and uses of funds related to investment in and making of two films and the subsequent box office and merchandising receipts.
- Traced and reconstructed payment history relating to the sale of a business and subsequent payment default.
- Traced and determined total sales by category at an entity operating a sexually oriented business without a business license.
- Performed forensic accounting to reconstruct banking records and trace cash flows to identify the total amounts received from and sent to various individuals and entities for a criminal matter involving a United States Army contract with a munitions dealership based in Miami Beach, Florida, for a contract to supply the Afghanistan Security Forces with various types of military munitions including nearly 500 million rounds of AK-47 ammunition.
- Performed forensic accounting to trace and identify the source of funds used to acquire assets seized by the Drug Enforcement Administration as a result of a forfeiture nexus analysis that indicated the assets constituted properties used to commit, facilitate, were involved in, or were proceeds of the commission of violations of 21, U.S.C.,Section 841(a)(1).
- Performed forensic accounting investigation of certain claims relative to an Estate, verified the net assets of the Estate, identified distributions of and expenses of the Estate, and computed the amount of the distributions that need to be made to wind up the Estate.
- Performed forensic accounting investigations for fraudulent conveyance and preference actions.
- Performed forensic accounting to trace and identify funds hidden through use of an illegitimate medical reinsurance program and other offshore fund schemes.
- Performed forensic accounting investigation of the use of funds invested in a business by a passive investor, including the tracing of siphoned funds through personal accounts of the individuals, and identification of misstatements in financial statements provided by the company as compared to business results demonstrated from the forensic reconstruction.
- Engaged by the Securities and Exchange Commission to provide a forensic accounting investigation of an alleged Ponzi scheme and provided findings in an expert report for use in a court of law fora matter involving claims of fraud in the offer and sale of securities, violations of Section 17(a)(2) [15 U.S.C. § 77q(a)(2)], fraud in connection with the purchase and sale of securities, violations of Section 10(b) of the Exchange Act [15 U.S.C. § 78j(b)] and Rule 10b-5(b) thereunder [17 C.F.R. §240.10b-5(b)], and offer and sale of unregistered securities, violation of Sections 5(a) and (c) of the Securities Act [15 U.S.C. § 77e(a) and (c)].
Evaluation of economic damages and related assessment of economic causation
I have been involved in the computation of economic losses,or economic damages, in many different types of cases. I have calculated and evaluated analyses prepared by others for losses due to business interruptions, business destruction, business dissolution, and a wide variety of business disputes. I have prepared both consulting reports and comprehensive expert reports, with uses ranging from legal consulting to settlement negotiations to trial testimony. The following is a list of some of the varied matters in which I have used my expertise to provide assistance:
- Analyzed economic damages in a matter involving breach of contract, unfair competition, and tortious interference with business relations claims related to a business that offered products and services related to psycho-acoustic therapy
- Analyzed economic damages in a matter involving claims of breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, lost business opportunity, failure to comply with their contractual obligation,civil conspiracy, intentional interference economic relations, and intentional misrepresentations or fraudulent concealment, related to a business that operated several cellular telephone retail locations in Colorado, Idaho,Nevada, and Utah.
- Analyzed economic damages in a matter involving claims of breach of contract, breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, breach of nondisclosure and non-competition agreements, Lanham Actviolations, common law unfair competition, and statutory unfair competition,related to a business that provided a video and audio device marketed primarily to the airline industry, specifically for in-flight entertainment.
- Analyzed economic damages in a matter involving breach of contract claims related to a business that provided outsourced investor coaching and education programs to customers of an online brokerage company.
- Analyzed economic damages in a matter involving breach of contract claims related to a contract between a multi-specialty medical clinic and a doctor specializing in hematology and oncology.
- Analyzed economic damages in a matter involving patent infringement claims related to businesses engaged in the manufacture of irrigation and watering products.
- Analyzed economic damages in a matter involving breach of contract claims between a medical practice and a University related to providing team physician services and medical facilities under an intercollegiate athletic services contract.
- Assisted counsel in the evaluation of economic damage claims in a case governmental licensing procedures for solicitors,wherein parties engaged in selling Kirby vacuum cleaners through door-to-door solicitations sued under 42 U.S.C. § 1983 claiming that the licensing ordinance violated their First Amendment commercial speech rights.
- Analyzed economic damages in a matter involving claims of misappropriation of trade secrets, breach of fiduciary duty,intentional interference with prospective economic relations, and civil conspiracy, in a lawsuit between a company and its former employee and the company formed by that employee.
- Analyzed economic damages in a matter arising from a failure to finalize terms for a software sale and subsequent sale of said software to a competitor, involving businesses in the video gambling equipment industry.
- Analyzed the economic loss resulting from personal injury, wrongful death and wrongful termination cases.
- Computed damages on intellectual property cases.
- Computed damages involving losses associated with construction contracts.
Unique or multifaceted engagements
Many cases require incorporating all of the professional skills from forensic accounting, valuation, and economic damages to fully provide the necessary assistance. The following is a list of some of the more interesting situations in which I have drawn on my expertise to provide assistance:
- Performed analyses for a non-profit organization to determine fair and reasonable rates of compensation, and investigation of past amounts paid in conjunction with identification of any disqualified persons and determination of any excess benefit transactions as those terms are defined in Section 4958 of the Internal Revenue Code
- Researched and analyzed relevant data for anon-profit organization and provided a determination of the maximum reasonable compensation for various positions within the organization, as well as evaluate the appropriateness of the commission and bonus structure of the organization.
- Provided valuation analyses and valuation consulting advice to a financial institution regarding a related group of entities operating inns, which included themed rooms, in three cities in Utah and Idaho. Also provided the financial institution with forensic accounting analysis of the entities financial operations to evaluate reliability of revenue and expense reporting and business purpose of various transactions.
- Investigated and determined historical amounts paid to employee and non-employee board members of a non-profit organization,including determining the reasonableness of amounts paid and recommendations for future amounts.
- Performed detailed analysis tracing all cash flows in a multi-district litigation matter arising from the crash of a sophisticated, $400 million Ponzi scheme premised on originating and servicing sub-prime, “C” and “D” credit, equipment and vehicle leases which were then“pooled” for purposes of procuring surety bonds guaranteeing the performance obligation, and then the lease pools were marketed to institutional investors –primarily banks. The tracing in this case involved recreating and tracing over 117,000 transactions totaling over $4.7 billion through 100 different bank accounts.
- Performed forensic accounting to trace and identify the source of funds used to acquire assets seized by the Drug Enforcement Administration as a result of a forfeiture nexus analysis that indicated the assets constituted properties used to commit, facilitate, were involved in or were proceeds of the commission of violations of 21, U.S.C.,Section 841(a)(1). Assisted counsel during the criminal trial with the evaluation of billing and patient accounting records, including critique of illustrative exhibits and preparation of trial questions for adverse witnesses.
- Performed forensic accounting and financial analyses to determine whether from an economic standpoint a taking of property had occurred. After determination of a taking, performed analyses to determine the economic damages resulting from the taking.
- Performed forensic accounting to develop business accounting records for individuals that owned several multi-family apartment buildings but had failed to pay income taxes for over twelve years through use of sham entities referred to as Unincorporated Business Organizations. Reconstructed the business accounting records for a 9-year historical period and then applied Cohan Rule for additional prior years for which records could no longer be obtained. After reconstruction of the business records, assisted tax professionals in the preparation of tax returns,assisted counsel in negotiations with the IRS, and assist with accounting related provisions of pretrial diversion agreement.
Critique and review of other financial experts
I am regularly involved in assignments specifically for the purpose of reviewing a report of another financial expert. The work provided in this context ranges from providing consulting advice to counsel to preparing a rebuttal expert report and providing testimony. The following list outlines some of the matters in which I have been involved:
- Evaluated the damages calculate in a matter in which a developer claimed a governmental entity interfered with its operations and made statements defaming developer all of which caused financial damages including lost sales, delays, and increased costs.
- Assisted counsel with critique of a valuation of a business that operated as an electrical contractor providing services to customers in Las Vegas and the surrounding area.
- Assisted counsel with critique of a valuation of a car dealership and related companies.
- Assisted counsel with analysis of stock option and restricted stock valuations.
- Assisted counsel with analysis of a valuation of a business specializing in the installation of granite slab, glass, stone, and tile.
- Evaluated and prepared rebuttal analyses of damage calculation in a matter involving breach of contract claims relating to a business involved in distributing laser based teeth whitening equipment.
- Prepared expert rebuttal analysis evaluating the economic damage claims in matters involving wrongful termination claims,personal injury claims, and wrongful death claims, including identifying and demonstrating the impact of flawed and speculative uses of generic data sources and vocational analyses.
- Evaluated and prepared rebuttal analyses evaluating economic damage claims in a matter involving real estate development, management, and option agreements during a period extending from approximately 1999 through 2010 and involving real estate with estimated value of over several hundred million dollars.
- Analyzed and prepared rebuttal analyses critiquing economic damage claims in a matter involving a loss of a distributorship and related down-line organization in a multi-level marketing business.
- Evaluated and prepared rebuttal analyses evaluating economic damage claims in a matter involving claims of fraud, breach of contract, mistake, breach of implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing, relating to the sale of a business running car wash operation.
- Assisted counsel in the evaluation of economic damage claims involving losses alleged by a door-to-door sale organization against governmental entities relating to the regulation of door-to-door sales.
- Prepared expert rebuttal analysis critiquing an analysis of gross income and expenses presented for use in determination of alimony and support.
- Prepared expert rebuttal analysis evaluating and critiquing economic damage opinions related to a claimed breach of contract involving a financing agreement for a business line of credit.
- Assisted counsel in the evaluation of economic damage claims in a matter involving claims of breach of contract and violation of covenant of good faith and fair dealing, intentional interference with contractual and prospective economic relations, business defamation, business disparagement, injurious falsehood, and breach of fiduciary duty relating a dispute between am independent business telecommunications company and a former employee and the new employer.
- Prepared expert rebuttal critique of economic damages calculated in a matter involving claims of breach of contract,negligence, and breach of warranty related to a business located in Hayward,California engaged in the processing and selling of live and frozen fish products for human consumption.
- Prepared expert rebuttal evaluation of economic damage calculations and related valuation for destruction of business for a matter involving damages arising from a sewer system backup at gentleman’s club in downtown Salt Lake City.
- Provided expert rebuttal analyses of economic damages related to license agreements and royalty amounts for an intellectual property license, specifically evaluating economic causation issues as well as apportionment of value for technology licenses.
- Prepared expert rebuttal analyses critiquing economic damage calculations in a matter involving claims of breach of contract, breach of covenant of good faith and fair dealing, misappropriate of trade secrets, threatened/future misappropriate of trade secrets, conversion,unjust enrichment, breach of fiduciary duty, tortious interference with business relations, and conversion, in a case involving companies and individuals involved in with digital signal processing technology.
Involvement in reported cases and cases of note
Over the course of my career I have had the opportunity to be involved in certain cases that have been appealed or resulted in reported decisions that I understand are now considered to provide some precedential value. Further, other cases have provided rulings that provide relevant understanding of expert analyses.
- Keiter vs.Keiter, 235 P.3d 782 (2010), 2010 UT App 169. In this divorce case, on behalf of Sage I was materially involved in assisting counsel at trial in dealing with the separate property claims, including providing questions for key witnesses during trial as well as assisting with illustrative exhibits. Performed cash and asset tracing analyses to demonstrate the marital character of an asset. Assisted counsel in the discovery process, including the preparation of requests for production and subpoena requests. Assisted counsel with financial and tracing related items in the appeals brief. Item remanded by Utah Court of Appeals for further proceedings is still pending.
- Goggin vs.Goggin, 2011 UT 76 and 2013 UT 16. This prolonged and complicated divorce matter involved separate quiet title and marital dissolution cases. On behalf of Sage, I assisted in the discovery process for both cases, including assisting with preparing document and subpoena requests. I used forensic accounting techniques to recreate all cash flow transactions of, related to, and for the benefit of the husband, or any other relevant individuals or entities, from which I performed cash flow tracings and other financial analyses as well as preparation of asset schedules and proposed division. In addition, I provided rebuttal analysis and critique accounting and financial analyses presented by husband, and his experts or consultants. The court in quiet title found several business entities to be alter egos of husband, determined it appropriate to pierce the corporate veil, and found the disputed property is part of the marital estate because it lost its premarital character. The divorce trial court found husband in contempt several times, including for dissipation of assets. The divorce court also found three of husband’s experts provided inadequate and unreliable accounting that failed unwind intermingling and alter ego transactions, and another expert was found not persuasive in part because of his opinions were based upon a faulty premise. Assisted counsel with financial related items in the appeals brief. Upon remand from Utah Supreme Court assisted counsel in presenting the dissipation evidence,upon which the trial court awarded additional dissipation.
- TruGreen Companies, L.L.C. vs. Scotts Lawn Service, 508 F. Supp. 2d 937 (D. Utah 2007). This complex commercial litigation matter involved a former employer suing former employees for breach of contract and tortious interference with contractual and/or economic relations. Sage was engaged to evaluate and critique the economic damage analysis of TruGreen’s expert. I assisted in the preparation of the expertrebuttal report that ultimately resulted in the court ruling to exclude TruGreen’s expert. In the court’s ruling, it stated “The fundamental problem is that TruGreen has not explained how [it’s expert] could reliably determine that profits earned by Scotts were in fact stolen away from TruGreen. So far as the court can determine from reviewing his report, [the expert] essentially assumed that the growth in Scotts profits were as a result of the new employees who left TruGreen. There are a number of problems with this approach. For starters, [the expert] picks 30% as the percent of customers that Scotts was able to retain as a result of TruGreen employees. The basis for this figure is not revealed, other than to say it is an “estimate.” A better term, so far as the court can tell,is a “guesstimate.” While this guesstimate might be within the realm of reason, Rule 702 requires more.”
- ASCU vs.Wolf Mountain Resorts, consolidated case 060500297, in the Third Judicial District Court, Summit County, State of Utah. This complex commercial litigation matter involved a dispute between a ski resort and the company that held the ground lease for the majority of the property on which the ski resort operated. Sage was engaged to evaluate and critique the economic damage analysis of ASCU’s expert’s. ASCU’s expert had prepared an expert report in which the damages were alleged to be up to an amount in excess of $220 million. I assisted in the preparation of the rebuttal expert analyses which, after a court hearing,resulted in the court excluding ASCU’s expert’s report due to “concern that (1)because the expert’s opinions in this case are not based on sufficiently reliable facts or data, and (2) because the expert has failed to adequately consider and account for other factors that may bear on the profitability of ASCU’s future operations and development enterprises, it cannot provide reliable assistance to the jury inits determination of the facts or amount of damages.” Similarly, in the ruling, the court noted,“Moreover, because of the highly speculative nature of his data and conclusions, the lack of clearly demonstrable foundations for his conclusions,and a critical analytical gap between the expert’s data and the opinion proffered, the evidence has low probative value and is unfairly prejudicial.”
Mr. Rondeau earned a both a Bachelor of Science degree in Accounting and a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration with a certificate in Information Technology, from the University of Utah.
Publications and Courses Taught
- Co-presented continuing legal education course titled Advanced Look at Calculation of Damages in Utah
- Presented continuing education court titled Budget Conscious Fraud Detection Techniques (Data Mining) at the NUAGA - 2009 Professional Development Conference
- Co-author of article “Tax Considerations in Divorce,” published summer 2012 in Utah Journal of Family Law
- Co-presented continuing legal education course titled Expert Witness Qualification and Selection, 02/2014
- Co-presented continuing legal education course titled Understanding Business Valuations, 04/2014
- Presented continuing education course titled Understanding Business Valuations, 02/2015
- Presented continuing legal education course titled Valuing and Dividing Complex Assets at an Advanced Divorce Law seminar,03/2016
- Speaker on Valuation Methods for the ESOP at The Utah ESOP Conference, 05/2016
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), licensed in Delaware and Nevada
- Member of the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Certified in Financial Forensics (CFF) by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Accredited in Business Valuation (ABV) by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Certified Information Technology Professional(CITP) by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE) by the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners
- Accredited Senior Appraiser (ASA) by the American Society of Appraisers
- Officer, Utah Chapter of American Society of Appraisers, 2011 – 2013; 2017 to present
- Officer, Utah Chapter of Certified Fraud Examiners, 2006 – 2011
- Serve as a Mentor for start-up companies involved in Wayne Brown Institute programs, 2005 to present
- Served as a Business Plan and Live Pitch Judge for Grow America Springboard™ Competition, 2012
- Volunteer Board Member, Hearthstone Homeowners’Association, Inc., 2007 to present
- Volunteer Board Member, Sigma Chi House Corporation, 2007 to present
I have provided professional services for a wide variety of purposes and in a wide variety of matters. This variety is because the foundational principles in forensic accounting, valuation, and economic damages can be appropriately applied in many different situations, the following attempts to broadly summarize the different types of matters I have worked on during my career: